- Show all articles ( 23 ) Collapse Articles
- Show all articles ( 42 ) Collapse Articles
- Show all articles ( 4 ) Collapse Articles
- Show all articles ( 2 ) Collapse Articles
Tips & Guidance
Why am I getting so many bots on my site?
One thing WOEXA can bring to light from your web traffic is just how many spam bots are trawling across the web and, if you’re unfortunate enough, on your site.
The reason these bots find their way onto your site, without disabling your WOEXA tracking can vary. We’ve found the most common types to be:
- Referrer Spam: a method for lead generation through spamming you with a client’s name.
- Affiliate traffic: also known as ‘ghost referrers’, they trick websites and analytics into thinking there was a visit in order to get shown up in referrer logs, which are indexed.
- SEO logs: certain platforms use crawlers to index web page data. They should disable analytics tracking, but are guilty of not at times resulting in multiple visits
There’s examples of others, but the important question is what can you do to prevent them getting onto your site? There are two main ways:
- Blocking via .htaccess: One way to stop spammers getting through, is by blocking their domains in the root directory of your domain.
- Excluding them in WOEXA: use tags to filter them out in WOEXA so you don’t see them interfering with the rest of your data.
If you need help getting your bots under control, just let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org